Professor Zsuzsoka Kecskes is the Director of the ANU Medical School.
She moved to Sydney in 1994 and completed her training in Neonatology in Brisbane, where she also completed a PhD at the University of Queensland.
She has been working a Neonatologist in Canberra since 2001 and has been the Director of the Department from 2007 to 2015. Her main research interest is the neonatal brain and lately she has been focussing on quality and safety assessment and education. She developed a quality and safety curriculum at the Medical School of the ANU where she is a Professor and Director.
She was recognised by the Australia Day Council who awarded her as the ACT Australian of the year 2014 for her work with families to design a safe, family-centred Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and the implementation of the NICUcam, a web-based design for parents and families to view their baby when they are not able to visit.
Her research interests are in neonatology (specifically the neonatal brain), higher education and patient centred care.
Areas of expertise
- Curriculum And Pedagogy
- Paediatrics And Reproductive Medicine
- Design Practice And Management
- Intensive Care
- Broom, M & Kecskes, Z 2020, 'Exploring the impact of a Dual-Occupancy NICU design on parental experience [IN PRESS]', Journal of Neonatal Nursing, vol. Online.
- Broom, M, Kecskes, Z, Kildea, S et al 2019, 'Exploring the Impact of a Dual Occupancy Neonatal Intensive Care Unit on Staff Workflow, Activity, and their Perceptions ', Health Environments Research and Design Journal, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 44-54.
- Broom, M, Gardner, A, Kecskes, Z et al 2017, 'Transition from an open-plan to a two-cot neonatal intensive care unit: a participatory action research approach.', Journal of Clinical Nursing, vol. 26, no. 13-14, pp. 1939-1948.
- Broom, M, Parsons, G, Carlisle, H et al 2017, 'Exploring Parental and Staff Perceptions of the Family-Integrated Care Model: A Qualitative Focus Group Study', Advances in Neonatal Care, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 12-19.
- Kecskes, Z & Mitchell, I 2017, 'Teaching future doctors for modern health care', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 206, no. 4, pp. 158-159pp.
- Kecskes, Z & Mitchell, I 2017, 'Introducing a new series on innovations in medical education', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 206, no. 1, pp. 13-14pp.
- Tarnow-Mordi, W, Stenson, B, Kirby, A et al 2016, 'Outcomes of Two Trials of Oxygen-Saturation Targets in Preterm Infants', New England Journal of Medicine, vol. 374, no. 8, pp. 749-760pp.
- Kecskes, Z 2016, 'Patient safety: a plane crash a month', The Medical Journal of Australia (Online), vol. Online, pp. 1pp..
- Kecskes, Z 2016, 'Teaching approaches in medicine made easier', The Medical Journal of Australia (Online), vol. 205, no. 6, pp. 255-255.
- Broom, M, Gardner, A, Kecskes, Z et al 2015, 'How can we help staff transition to a new NICU design?', Journal of Neonatal Nursing, vol. 21, no. 5, pp. 180-185.
- Mohamed, A, Kecskes, Z & Bajuk, B 2013, 'Actuarial day-by-day survival rates of preterm infants admitted to neonatal intensive care in New South Wales and the Australian Capital Territory', Archives of Disease in Childhood Fetal and Neonatal Edition, vol. 98, no. 3, pp. F212-F217.
- Broom, M, Brady, B, Kecskes, Z et al 2013, 'World cafÃ© methodology engages stakeholders in designing a neonatal intensive care unit', Journal of Neonatal Nursing, vol. 19, no. 5, pp. 253-258.
- Chaudhari, T, Robertson, M, Ellwood, D et al 2013, 'Maternal ventilation and sedation for H1N1 influenza resulting in fetal bladder rupture and urinary ascites', Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 49, no. 1, pp. E97-E100.
- Lam, Y, Kecskes, Z & Abdel-Latif, ME 2012, 'Breast milk banking: Current opinion and practice in Australian neonatal intensive care units', Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 48, no. 9, pp. 833-839.
- Lingwood, B, Healy, G, Kecskes, Z et al 2009, 'Prediction of outcome following hypoxia/ischaemia in the human infant using cerebral impedance', Clinical Neurophysiology, vol. 120, no. 2, pp. 225-230.
- Sedaghat, N, Ellwood, D, Shadbolt, F et al 2008, 'The effect of mode of delivery and anaesthesia on neonatal blood pressure', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 48, pp. 172-178.
- Kent, A, Kecskes, Z, Shadbolt, F et al 2007, 'Normative blood pressure data in the early neonatal period', Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 22, pp. 1335-1341.
- Croaker, G, Pearce, R, Li, J et al 2007, 'Idiopathic slow transit constipation is rare - But delayed passage of meconium is common in the constipation clinic', Pediatric Surgery International, vol. 23, no. 12, pp. 1153-1159.
- Francis, B, Hallam, L, Kecskes, Z et al 2007, 'Placental Mesenchymal Dysplasia Associated with Hepatic Mesenchymal Hamartoma in the Newborn', Pediatric and Developmental Pathology, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 50-54.
- Kent, A, Kecskes, Z, Shadbolt, F et al 2007, 'Blood pressure in the first year of life in healthyinfants born at term', Pediatric Nephrology, vol. 22, pp. 1743-1749.
- Kecskes, Z, Kent, A, Dhawan, A et al 2006, 'Early diffusion-weighted magnetic resonance imaging findings in neonatal herpes encephalitis', Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health, vol. 42, no. 12, pp. 824-826.
- Kecskes, Z, Kent, A & Reynolds, G 2006, 'Treatment of pulmonary hypertension with sildenafil in a neonate with Spondyloepiphyseal Dysplasea Congenita', Journal of Maternal - Fetal & Neonatal Medicine, vol. 19, no. 9, pp. 579-582.