Christopher Nolan is the Director of Diabetes Services in the ACT and a Professor of Endocrinology at the Australian National University Medical School. His main clinical and research interests relate to diabetes, including diabetes in pregnancy. He has previously been President of the Australasian Diabetes in Pregnancy Society and a Council Member of the International Association of Diabetes in Pregnancy Study Groups. In addition to administrative, clinical and teaching duties in Canberra, he directs an active diabetes research laboratory focussing on islet beta-cell failure in type 2 diabetes, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and placenta in diabetic pregnancy.
- Cheng, K, Delghingaro-Augusto, V, Nolan, C et al 2012, 'High passage MIN6 cells have impaired insulin secretion with impaired glucose and lipid oxidation', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 7, no. 7.
- Nolan, C, Damm, P & Prentki, M 2011, 'Type 2 diabetes across generations: from pathophysiology to prevention and management', Lancet, The (UK edition), vol. 378, no. 9786, pp. 169-181.
- Perampalam, S, Ganda, K, Chow, K et al 2011, 'Vitamin D status and its predictive factors in pregnancy in 2 Australian populations', Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, vol. 51, no. 4, pp. 353-359.
- Manchanayake, J, Chitturi, S, Nolan, C et al 2011, 'Postprandial hyperinsulinemia is universal in non-diabetic patients with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease', Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 26, no. 3, pp. 510-516.
- Nolan, C 2011, 'Controversies in gestational diabetes', Best Practice & Research: Clinical Obstetrics & Gynaecology, vol. 25, no. 1, pp. 37-49.
- Nolan, C 2010, 'Failure of islet Î²-cell compensation for insulin resistance causes type 2 diabetes: What causes non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis?', Journal of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 1594-1597.
- Pathmaperuma, A, Mana-Nieto, P, Cheung, S et al 2010, 'Fatty acids alter glycerolipid metabolism and induce lipid droplet formation, syncytialisation and cytokine production in human trophoblasts with minimal glucose effect or interaction', Placenta, vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 230-239.
- Delghingaro-Augusto, V, Nolan, C, Gupta, D et al 2009, 'Islet beta cell failure in the 60% pancreatectomised obese hyperlipidaemic Zucker fatty rat: severe dysfunction with altered glycerolipid metabolism without steatosis or a falling beta cell mass', Diabetologia, vol. 52, pp. 1122-1132.
- Lamontagne, J, Pepin, E, Peyot, M et al 2009, 'Pioglitazone Acutely Reduces Insulin Secretion and Causes Metabolic Deceleration of the Pancreatic beta-Cell at Submaximal Glucose Concentrations', Endocrinology, vol. 150, no. 8, pp. 3465-3474.
- Nolan, C & Prentki, M 2008, 'The islet b-cell: fuel responsive and vulnerable', Trends in Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 19, no. 8, pp. 285-291.
- Lamontagne, J, Masiello, P, Marcil, M et al 2007, 'Circulating lipids are lowered but pancreatic islet lipid metabolism and insulin secretion are unaltered in exercise-trained female rats', Applied Physiology, Nutrition and Metabolism, vol. 32, pp. 241-248.
- Przybytkowski, E, Joly, E, Nolan, C et al 2007, 'Upregulation of cellular triacylglycerol - free fatty acid cycling by oleate is associated with long-term serum-free survival of human breast cancer cells', Biochemistry and Cell Biology, vol. 85, pp. 301-310.
- Prentki, M & Nolan, C 2006, 'Islet beta cell failure in type 2 diabetes', Journal of Clinical Investigation, vol. 116, no. 7, pp. 1802-1812.
- Nolan, C, Madiraju, M, Delghingaro-Augusto, V et al 2006, 'Fatty Acid Signaling in the Beta-Cell and Insulin Secretion', Diabetes, vol. 55, no. 2, pp. S16-S23.
- Nolan, C, Leahy, J, Delghingaro-Augusto, V et al 2006, 'Beta cell compensation for insulin resistance in Zucker fatty rats: increased lipolysis and fatty acid signalling', Diabetologia, vol. 49, no. 9, pp. 2120-2130.
- Arsov, T, Larter, C, Nolan, C et al 2006, 'Adaptive failure to high-fat diet characterizes steatohepatitis in Alms1 mutant mice', Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, vol. 342, no. 4, pp. 1152-59.
- Hu, L, Deeney, J, Nolan, C et al 2005, 'Regulation of lipolytic activity by long-chain acyl-coenzyme A in islets and adipocytes', American Journal of Physiology - Endocrinology and Metabolism, vol. 289, no. 6, pp. E1085-E1092.
- Nolan, C, Roduit, R, Alarcon, C et al 2004, 'A role for the malonyl-CoA/long-chain acyl-CoA pathway of lipid signaling in the regulation of insulin secretion in response to both fuel and nonfuel stimuli', Diabetes, vol. 53, no. 2004, pp. 1007-1019.
- El-Assaad, W, Buteau, J, Peyot, M et al 2003, 'Saturated fatty acids synergize with elevated glucose to cause pancreatic beta-cell death', Endocrinology, vol. 144, no. 9, pp. 4154-4163.