Jason is a GP and an epidemiologist who has worked mainly in the field of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health. Since graduating from medicine he has worked in rural Australia with a focus on child health and does clinical work at Gurriny Yealamucka, an Aboriginal community controlled heatlh service in the community of Yarrabah in far north Queensland.
Through his training as an epidemiologist Jason has worked at the National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO) and the National Health Performance Authority (NHPA) before coming to the ANU. At the ANU his research focuses on improving prevention of cardiovascular disease among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples and understanding the health needs of ACT's children. He has an interest in the use of routinely collected data to improve health services and continues to be involved in national reporting through his position on the Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Healthcare's Primary Care Expert Advisory Group.
- O'Brien, K, Agostino, J, Ciszek, K et al 2020, 'Physical activity and risk of behavioural and mental health disorders in kindergarten children: analysis of a series of cross-sectional complete enumeration (census) surveys', BMJ Open, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1-9.
- van der Linden, N, van Gool, K, Gardner, K et al. 2019, 'A systematic review of scabies transmission models and data to evaluate the cost-effectiveness of scabies interventions', PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, vol. 13, no. 3, pp. e0007182-1-18.
- Paige, E, Agostino, J, Phillips, C et al 2019, 'Living Guidelines for Absolute Cardiovascular Disease Risk Assessment and Management', Heart, Lung and Circulation, vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 829-832.
- Paige, E, O'Donoughue Jenkins, L, Agostino, J et al 2019, 'Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander absolute cardiovascular risk assessment and management: systematic review of evidence to inform national guidelines [IN PRESS]', Public Health Research & Practice, vol. Online, pp. 1-5.
- Sturgiss, E, Agostino, J & Smith, GJD (2019) Conversations about obesity need to be realistic and informed, Australian Journal of General Practice, vol. 48, no. 5, pp. 247-247.
- Sturgiss, E, Elmitt, N, Agostino, J et al 2018, 'The influence of therapeutic alliance on adult obesity interventions in primary care: A systematic review protocol', Australian Journal of General Practice, vol. 47, no. 9, pp. 646-649.
- Strobel, N, McAuley, K, Matthews, V et al 2018, 'Understanding the structure and processes of primary health care for young indigenous children', Journal of Primary Health Care, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1-12.
- Ju, I, Banks, E, Calabria, B et al 2018, 'General practitioners' perspectives on the prevention of cardiovascular disease: systematic review and thematic synthesis of qualitative studies', BMJ Open, vol. 8, no. 11, pp. 1-17pp.
- Gardner, K, van Gool, K, Van der Linden, N et al 2018, Evaluation of the One Disease Crusted Scabies Elimination Project.
- Paige, E, Welsh, J, Agostino, J et al 2018, 'Socioeconomic variation in absolute cardiovascular disease risk and treatment in the Australian population', Preventive Medicine, vol. 114, pp. 217-222pp.
- Sturgiss, E & Agostino, J 2018, 'Preventive Health Care Should Focus on Modifiable Cardiovascular Risk Factors, Not Obesity Alone', Journal of the American College of Cardiology, vol. 71, no. 7, pp. 815-816pp.
- Agostino, J, Ferguson, J, Eastwood, K et al 2017, 'The increasing importance of community-acquired methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections', Medical Journal of Australia, vol. 207, no. 9, pp. 388-393pp.
- Sibthorpe, B, Agostino, J, Coates, H et al 2017, 'Indicators for continuous quality improvement for otitis media in primary health care for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children', Australian Journal of Primary Health, vol. 23, no. 1, pp. 1-9.
- Agostino, J, Heazlewood, R & Ruben, A 2012, 'Improving access to primary care in the Cape York Peninsula region', Australian Family Physician, vol. 41, no. 8, pp. 623 - 625.