Dr Rafat Hussain is a public health physician with qualifications in medicine, public health and epidemiology. Currently Dr Hussain is working as an Associate Professor in Population Health at the Australian National University (ANU), with joint affiliation across the ANU Medical School & Research School of Population Health (Centre for Research in Ageing, Health, and Wellbeing). She is an Associate Investigator with the Centre for Excellence in Population Ageing Research (CEPAR). A/Prof Hussain has received several major research nationally-competitive research grants including a current 4-year grant on Disabilities & Ageing funded by the Australian Research Council (ARC). She also has an ongoing long-term collaboration on several projects on disabilities and ageing with her colleagues at various academic institutions in Western Australia. This has led to several research grants and highly cited publications.
A/Prof Hussain has published extensively in high quality international journals with over 90 refereed journal papers and presentations at over 75 research conferences and symposia. Many of her research publications are widely cited with 3,500 citations of her published scholarly work. She has been on the scientific committee for several national & international conferences & symposia and is a reviewer for a number of international journals on health and ageing.
- Dillon, G, Hussain, R, Kibele, E et al 2016, 'Influence of Intimate Partner Violence on Domestic Relocation in Metropolitan and Non-Metropolitan Young Australian Women', Violence Against Women, vol. 22, no. 13, pp. 1597-1620.
- Wark, S, Hussain, R & Edwards, H 2016, 'The main signs of ageing in people with intellectual disability', Australian Journal of Rural Health, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 357-362.
- Hussain, R, Abu-Ghori, I, Bodrick, M et al 2016, 'Nurses' involvement in end-of-life care of patients after a do not resuscitate decision on general medical units in Saudi Arabia', Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, vol. 33, pp. 21-29.
- Hussain, R & Tait, K 2015, 'Parental perceptions of information needs and service provision for children with developmental disabilities in rural Australia', Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 37, no. 18-19, pp. 1609-1616.
- Wark, S, Hussain, R & Edwards, H 2015, 'Assisting individuals ageing with learning disability: Support worker perspectives', Tizard Learning Disability Review, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 213-222.
- Wark, S, Canon-Vanry, M, Ryan, P et al 2015, 'Ageing-related experiences of adults with learning disability resident in rural areas: One Australian perspective', British Journal of Learning Disabilities, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 293-301.
- Singh, P, Hussain, R, Khan, A et al 2015, 'Carers' Perspectives on Sustainability of Informal Care for People With Dementia', Sage Open, vol. 5, no. 3.
- Inder, K, Hussain, R, Allen, J et al 2015, 'Factors associated with personal hopefulness in older rural and urban residents of New South Wales', Advances in Mental Health, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 43-57pp.
- Hussain, R, Maple, M, Mapedzahama, V et al 2015, 'The fly-in fly-out and drive-in drive-out model of health care service provision for rural and remote Australia: Benefits and disadvantages', Rural and Remote Health, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. -.
- Do, K, Minichiello, V, Hussain, R et al 2015, 'Sexual history taking in general practice: managing sexually transmitted infections for female sex workers by doctors and assistant doctors in Vietnam', International Journal of STD and AIDS, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 55-64.
- Dillon, G, Hussain, R & Loxton, D 2015, 'Intimate partner violence in the young cohort of the Australian longitudinal study on women's health: Urban/rural comparison and demographic associations', Advances in Mental Health, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 18-29pp.
- Cosgrave, C, Hussain, R & Maple, M 2015, 'Retention challenge facing Australia's rural community mental health services: Service managers' perspectives', Australian Journal of Rural Health, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 272-276.
- Cosgrove, C, Hussain, R & Maple, M 2015, 'Factors impacting on retention amongst community mental health clinicians working in rural Australia: a literature review', Advances in Mental Health, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 58-71.
- Sharpley, C, Hussain, R, Wark, S et al 2015, 'The influence of social support on psychological distress in older persons: An examination of interaction processes in Australia', Psychological Reports, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 883-896.
- Kendig, H., O'Loughlin, K., Hussain, R. et al 2015. Attitudes to Intergenerational Equity: Baseline Findings from the Attitudes to Ageing in Australia. http://www.cepar.edu.au/media/167073/33-attitudes-to-intergenerational-e...
- Wark, S, Hussain, R & Edwards, H 2014, 'Impediments to community-based care for people ageing with intellectual disability in rural New South Wales', Health and Social Care in the Community, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 623-633.
- Wark, S, Hussain, R & Edwards, H 2014, 'The Training Needs of Staff Supporting Individuals Ageing with Intellectual Disability', Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 273-288.
- Wark, S, Hussain, R & Parmenter, T 2014, 'Down syndrome and dementia: Is depression a confounder for accurate diagnosis and treatment?', Journal of Intellectual Disabilities, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 305-314.
- Barlow, E, Hacker, N, Hussain, R et al 2014, 'Sexuality and body image following treatment for early-stage vulvar cancer: A qualitative study', Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 70, no. 8, pp. 1856-1866.
- Singh, P, Hussain, R, Khan, A et al 2014, 'DEMENTIA CARE INTERSECTING INFORMAL FAMILY CARE AND FORMAL CARE SYSTEMS', Journal of Aging Research, vol. 2014, no. -, pp. 486521-486521.
- Minichiello, V, Rahman, S & Hussain, R 2013, 'Epidemiology of sexually transmitted infections in global indigenous populations: Data availability and gaps', International Journal of STD and AIDS, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 759-768.
- Rashidian, M, Hussain, R & Minichiello, V 2013, ''My culture haunts me no matter where I go': Iranian-American women discussing sexual and acculturation experiences', Culture, Health and Sexuality, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 866-877.
- Wark, S, Hussain, R & Edwards, H 2013, 'Rural and Remote Area Service Provision for People Aging with Intellectual Disability', Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 62-70.
- Abrahamson, I, Hussain, R, Khan, A et al 2012, 'What Helps Couples Rebuild Their Relationship After Infidelity?', Journal of Family Issues, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1494-1519.