Associate Professor Rafat Hussain
Dr Rafat Hussain is a public health physician with qualifications in medicine, public health and epidemiology. Currently Dr Hussain is working as an Associate Professor in Population Health at the Australian National University (ANU), with joint affiliation across the ANU Medical School & Research School of Population Health (Centre for Research in Ageing, Health, and Wellbeing). She is an Associate Investigator with the Centre for Excellence in Population Ageing Research (CEPAR). A/Prof Hussain has received several major research nationally-competitive research grants including a current 4-year grant on Disabilities & Ageing funded by the Australian Research Council (ARC). She also has an ongoing long-term collaboration on several projects on disabilities and ageing with her colleagues at various academic institutions in Western Australia. This has led to several research grants and highly cited publications.
A/Prof Hussain has published extensively in high quality international journals with over 90 refereed journal papers and presentations at over 75 research conferences and symposia. Many of her research publications are widely cited with 3,500 citations of her published scholarly work. She has been on the scientific committee for several national & international conferences & symposia and is a reviewer for a number of international journals on health and ageing.
- Hussain, R, Wark, S, Janicki, M et al. 2021, 'Mental health of older people with mild and moderate intellectual disability in Australia', Journal of Intellectual Disability Research, vol. 65, no. 6, pp. 535-547.
- O'Loughlin, K, Hussain, R & Kendig, H 2020, 'Attitudes towards Australia's baby boomers and intergenerational equity', The Sociological Review, epub ahead of print, 27th October, https://doi.org/10.1177/0038026120963367
- Hussain, R, Wark, S & Ryan, P 2018, 'Caregiving, employment and social isolation: Challenges for rural carers in Australia', International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 15, no. 10, pp. 15pp.
- Hussain, R 2018, 'Is mental health status affected by chronic diseases in older people with intellectual disability?', Fifth International IASSIDD Europe Congress, Wiley-Blackwell Publishing Ltd, United Kingdom, pp. 553-553.
- Kendig, H, Hussain, R, Loughlin, K et al. 2018, 'Australian attitudes to intergenerational equity: impacts of social and policy change', Ageing and Society, vol. 39, no. 12, pp. 2671-2698.
- Wark, S, Hussain, R, Muller, A et al 2017, 'Challenges in providing end-of-life care for people with intellectual disability: Health services access', Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, vol. 30, no. 6, pp. 1151-1159pp.
- Cosgrave, C, Maple, M & Hussain, R 2017, 'Work challenges negatively affecting the job satisfaction of early career community mental health professionals working in rural Australia: findings from a qualitative study', Journal of Mental Health Training, Education and Practice (JMHTEP), vol. 13, no. 3, pp. 173-186pp.
- Heywood, W, Minichiello, V, Lyons, A et al. 2017, 'The impact of experiences of ageism on sexual activity and interest in later life', Ageing and Society, vol. 39, no. 4, pp. 795-814.
- Kendig, H, O'Loughlin, K, Hussain, R et al 2017, 'Attitudes towards intergenerational equity: Preliminary Australian evidence', Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 107-111.
- Hussain, R, Kendig, H, O'Loughlin, K et al 2017, 'Perceptions of health-care professionals' treatment of older people', Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 102-106.
- O'Loughlin, K, Kendig, H, Hussain, R et al 2017, 'Age discrimination in the workplace: The more things change...', Australasian Journal on Ageing, vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 98-101pp.
- Hussain, R, Janicki, M, Knox, M et al 2017, 'Perspectives about support challenges facing health workers assisting older adults with and without intellectual disability in rural versus urban settings in Australia', Journal of Intellectual and Developmental Disability, pp. 1-10.
- Tait, K & Hussain, R 2017, 'Using Quality of Family Life Factors to Explore Parents? Experience of Educational Provision for Children with Developmental Disabilities in Rural Australia', International Journal of Disability, Development and Education, vol. 64, no. 3, pp. 328-344.
- Hussain, R, Wark, S, Dillon, G et al 2016, 'Self-reported physical and mental health of Australian carers: A cross-sectional study', BMJ Open, vol. 6, no. 9, pp. e011417-e011417.
- Dillon, G, Hussain, R, Loxton, D et al 2016, 'Rurality and self-reported health in women with a history of intimate partner violence', PLOS ONE (Public Library of Science), vol. 11, no. 9, pp. e0162380-e0162380.
- Cosqrave, C, Maple, M & Hussain, R 2016, 'Factors affecting job satisfaction of Aboriginal mental health workers working in community mental health in rural and remote New South Wales', Australian Health Review, vol. Online, pp. 5pp..
- Dillon, G, Hussain, R, Kibele, E et al 2016, 'Influence of Intimate Partner Violence on Domestic Relocation in Metropolitan and Non-Metropolitan Young Australian Women', Violence Against Women, vol. 22, no. 13, pp. 1597-1620.
- Wark, S, Hussain, R & Edwards, H 2016, 'The main signs of ageing in people with intellectual disability', Australian Journal of Rural Health, vol. 24, no. 6, pp. 357-362.
- Hussain, R, Abu-Ghori, I, Bodrick, M et al 2016, 'Nurses' involvement in end-of-life care of patients after a do not resuscitate decision on general medical units in Saudi Arabia', Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, vol. 33, pp. 21-29.
- Wark, S, Hussain, R & Edwards, H 2015, 'Assisting individuals ageing with learning disability: Support worker perspectives', Tizard Learning Disability Review, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 213-222.
- Wark, S, Canon-Vanry, M, Ryan, P et al 2015, 'Ageing-related experiences of adults with learning disability resident in rural areas: One Australian perspective', British Journal of Learning Disabilities, vol. 43, no. 4, pp. 293-301.
- Singh, P, Hussain, R, Khan, A et al 2015, 'Carers' Perspectives on Sustainability of Informal Care for People With Dementia', Sage Open, vol. 5, no. 3.
- Inder, K, Hussain, R, Allen, J et al. 2015, 'Factors associated with personal hopefulness in older rural and urban residents of New South Wales', Advances in Mental Health, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 43-57pp.
- Hussain, R, Maple, M, Mapedzahama, V et al 2015, 'The fly-in fly-out and drive-in drive-out model of health care service provision for rural and remote Australia: Benefits and disadvantages', Rural and Remote Health, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. -.
- Do, K, Minichiello, V, Hussain, R et al 2015, 'Sexual history taking in general practice: managing sexually transmitted infections for female sex workers by doctors and assistant doctors in Vietnam', International Journal of STD and AIDS, vol. 26, no. 1, pp. 55-64.
- Dillon, G, Hussain, R & Loxton, D 2015, 'Intimate partner violence in the young cohort of the Australian longitudinal study on women's health: Urban/rural comparison and demographic associations', Advances in Mental Health, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 18-29pp.
- Cosgrave, C, Hussain, R & Maple, M 2015, 'Retention challenge facing Australia's rural community mental health services: Service managers' perspectives', Australian Journal of Rural Health, vol. 23, no. 5, pp. 272-276.
- Cosgrove, C, Hussain, R & Maple, M 2015, 'Factors impacting on retention amongst community mental health clinicians working in rural Australia: a literature review', Advances in Mental Health, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 58-71.
- Sharpley, C, Hussain, R, Wark, S et al 2015, 'The influence of social support on psychological distress in older persons: An examination of interaction processes in Australia', Psychological Reports, vol. 117, no. 3, pp. 883-896.
- Hussain, R & Tait, K 2015, 'Parental perceptions of information needs and service provision for children with developmental disabilities in rural Australia', Disability and Rehabilitation, vol. 37, no. 18-19, pp. 1609-1616.
- Kendig, H., O'Loughlin, K., Hussain, R. et al 2015. Attitudes to Intergenerational Equity: Baseline Findings from the Attitudes to Ageing in Australia. http://www.cepar.edu.au/media/167073/33-attitudes-to-intergenerational-e...
- Wark, S, Hussain, R & Edwards, H 2014, 'Impediments to community-based care for people ageing with intellectual disability in rural New South Wales', Health and Social Care in the Community, vol. 22, no. 6, pp. 623-633.
- Wark, S, Hussain, R & Edwards, H 2014, 'The Training Needs of Staff Supporting Individuals Ageing with Intellectual Disability', Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, vol. 27, no. 3, pp. 273-288.
- Wark, S, Hussain, R & Parmenter, T 2014, 'Down syndrome and dementia: Is depression a confounder for accurate diagnosis and treatment?', Journal of Intellectual Disabilities, vol. 18, no. 4, pp. 305-314.
- Barlow, E, Hacker, N, Hussain, R et al 2014, 'Sexuality and body image following treatment for early-stage vulvar cancer: A qualitative study', Journal of Advanced Nursing, vol. 70, no. 8, pp. 1856-1866.
- Singh, P, Hussain, R, Khan, A et al 2014, 'DEMENTIA CARE INTERSECTING INFORMAL FAMILY CARE AND FORMAL CARE SYSTEMS', Journal of Aging Research, vol. 2014, no. -, pp. 486521-486521.
- Do, K, Minichiello, V, Hussain, R et al 2014, 'Physicians' perceived barriers to management of sexually transmitted infections in Vietnam', BMC Public Health, vol. 14, pp. 1133-.
- Hussain, R, Guppy, M, Robertson, S et al 2013, 'Physical and mental health perspectives of first year undergraduate rural university students', BMC Public Health, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1-11.
- Hussain, R & Fisher, K 2013, 'Informal talk: Shaping understandings of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) in rural Australia', Rural and Remote Health, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 1-12.
- Minichiello, V, Rahman, S & Hussain, R 2013, 'Epidemiology of sexually transmitted infections in global indigenous populations: Data availability and gaps', International Journal of STD and AIDS, vol. 24, no. 10, pp. 759-768.
- Rashidian, M, Hussain, R & Minichiello, V 2013, ''My culture haunts me no matter where I go': Iranian-American women discussing sexual and acculturation experiences', Culture, Health and Sexuality, vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 866-877.
- Wark, S, Hussain, R & Edwards, H 2013, 'Rural and Remote Area Service Provision for People Aging with Intellectual Disability', Journal of Policy and Practice in Intellectual Disabilities, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 62-70.
- Abrahamson, I, Hussain, R, Khan, A et al 2012, 'What Helps Couples Rebuild Their Relationship After Infidelity?', Journal of Family Issues, vol. 33, no. 11, pp. 1494-1519.
- Hussain, R, Minichiello, V & Do, K 2012, 'HIV risks among injecting drug users in Vietnam: A review of the research evidence', Current HIV Research, vol. 10, no. 6, pp. 479-486.
- Parmenter, G, Cruickshank, M & Hussain, R 2012, 'The social lives of rural Australian nursing home residents', Ageing and Society, vol. 32, no. 2, pp. 329-353.