Book Launch: Building a Community of Learning in General Practice
Written by Katrina Anderson and Jennifer Thomson
The Academic Unit of General Practice, Australian National University Medical School invite you to join us for drinks and canapes and celebrate the incredible teaching, mentoring and supervision undertaken by our urban and rural General Practitioners in Canberra and SENSW.
- Professor Imogen Mitchell, Director of the ANU Medical School will open the evening and launch this new book for GP teachers and supervisors.
- Professor Nicholas Glasgow, our invited guest speaker, will talk about the satisfaction of building a learning community in General Practice.
- Professor Kirsty Douglas and Associate Professor Malcom Moore will briefly talk about opportunities for teaching medical students within ANU Medical School.
About the Book and Authors
Building a Community of Learning in General Practice
Associate Professor Katrina Anderson and Associate Professor Jennifer Thomson are very experienced GPs and internationally renowned medical educators. They have taught medical students, junior doctors and registrars, and have run continuing professional development activities for practicing doctors. Their passion to continually improve the quality of medical education is clear to all who meet them. Drawing on their years of experience as clinicians and educators, they have written this wonderful resource for anyone wanting to develop their teaching expertise.
The book is orientated around the realities of Australian general practice, and is of particular help to those working in that sector. But that orientation should not deter people working in other health settings from adding this book to their educational resources. The book is full of grounded and practical educational examples, advice, and tips that have proven to be effective in time-pressured clinical environments. It is relevant to anyone seeking to continuously improve educational activities in such contexts. The book is designed for the busy clinician to easily pick up a copy, quickly find some helpful information and practically apply it with ease.
- Prof Nicholas Glasgow
This evening is an opportunity to:
- Grab a copy of this book for your practice
- Connect with other GP teachers in the ACT and NSW
- Explore your options to build a community of learning within your own practice
- Connect with GP academics to find out more about student and junior doctor learning and teaching
- Both Katrina Anderson and Jennifer Thomson will be present to discuss their book