The Medical School welcomes applications from medical specialist individuals who would like to continue to contribute to our research and education activities and renew their existing academic title with the University. Any title is for a fixed-term period and the renewal application must be submitted at least three to six months before the previous term ends.
Steps to complete a title renewal application
You will need to:
- Complete the Application Form provided.
- Discuss your application with your Medical School academic supervisor as well as your clinical supervisor. Both supervisors will be required to complete the endorsement section of the Application Form.
- Details of two referees.
- Details of your planned participation in the Medical School's teaching and research activities. Refer to the Application Form for examples.
- An up-to-date copy of your Curriculum Vitae. Please use the template provided. It is helpful to include an evaluation of your teaching and research activities or any other evidence you consider important to draw to the Committee's attention.
- Evidence of your Academic Performance and Development Review with your academic supervisor. For this, please use the ANU e-form system.
- Submit your Application Form via the button at the top of the page.
Academic title renewal is for a fixed-term period or until the applicant's work-related association with the ACT or South East region of NSW or Sydney Adventist Hospital campus ends.
Once received, the renewal application will be considered by the Medical School Appointment, Renewal and Promotion Committee at its next meeting and you will be advised in writing of the outcome within a month.
Please note that this is not a promotion process:
- Promotion applications for full academic title are through a separate annual University promotions round, see the ANU Academic Promotion webpage.
People holding honorary clinical title may apply at the same level or a higher level at the time of renewal if they and their academic supervisor consider their case to be strong. Please refer to the Additional Information section for more information and guidance.
Outlining teaching and research activities
Be as specific as you can when outlining previous teaching and research activities.
For teaching contributions, provide details on the number of lectures/workshops you have given, information on university committee membership, involvement in curriculum or course development, review, etc.
For research contributions, provide details of funding received, presentations at conferences, invitations to conferences and other institutions, membership of committees, assessing funding applications, etc.
For details please see the Honorary Academic Title Performance and Promotion Indicators which set out the expectations required of honorary academic staff members at each level of appointment in the ANU Medical School.
Statement regarding achievements relative to opportunity
The ANU is an equal opportunity employer. It may be relevant to also prepare a statement regarding your achievements relative to opportunity.
This statement is very important if your academic contributions have been affected by caring responsibilities, chronic illness, disability, prolonged leave, fractional full time equivalent work or significant clinical/managerial loads in your roles, etc.
You should also list your type of appointment, describe how many hours you work, and how much of that is designated for academic work (teaching or research).