Medical School Year 2 students had a very enjoyable Rural Week in the Young, Harden, Cowra and Boorowa region.
The week in Young started with a town tour conducted by local community member, Helen Waugh. After the tour there was time for students to get settled in their cabins, complete with a hamper of food and toiletries supplied by the generous local businesses of Young. The Rotary Club of Young provided a barbecue on the first night at the Tourist Park.
All lunches during the week were supplied by local community groups including Mercy Care Hospital Auxiliary, Young Health Service Auxiliary, Lions Club of Young and CWA of Cowra.
Highlights of the week included:
- A visit to Ylad Living Soils farm
- A tour of the Yalbillinga-Erambie precinct including the Boori Day Care Centre and Community Outreach Service
- Visit to Cowra High School where students were entertained by a performance by the Wagambirra Dance Group.
- Harden Hospital and Aged Care Facility, Southern Cross Care Services and Lambing Flat Enterprises Interaction Group.
- "Lowlynn" farm visit in Harden, with lovely hospitality from the family and community members.
To finish the fantastic week all the students from Young and Harden travelled to Boorowa. Burrowa House and the Boorowa Hospital opened their doors to the visiting medical students with a warm country welcome.